In recent weeks we have been using the high altar, rather than the new free standing altar. This is in order to accustom the servers (and the Vicar) to celebrating in the 'traditional' manner for the centenary of the consecration next year. Here are some pictures of how it was done in about 1948. The celebrant is Father William Maxwell Rennie, Vicar 1936 - 1954.
Thurifer and boat boy at the head of the procession.
The Girl Guides suggest this is a parade service.
Celebrant flanked by deacon and sub-deacon all wearing birettas.
The celebrant is wearing a cope rather than a chasuble because high mass began with a preparatory rite.
Now vested in the chasuble, the celebrant approaches the high altar.
The Collect is read from the south end of the altar.