This Sunday marks the centenary of the laying of the foundation stones of St Jude's on St Mark's Day, 25 April 1910. The foundation stone of the Lady Chapel was laid by the Earl of Crewe (at the time Secretary of State for the Colonies) with the words "In the faith of Jesus Christ we place this foundation stone in the name of God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Ghost. Amen" using a silver trowel presented to him by Lady Byron on behalf of the Church Building Committee. The service was taken by the vicar designate, the Reverend Basil Bourchier. The Bishop of Dover (Archdeacon of Canterbury) was the preacher. The clergy and choir, together with the choirs of St Mary's Hendon and All Saints' Childs Hill processed from the Institute to the Church site.
The second stone was laid by the Hon. W.F.D. Smith (later Viscount Hambleden and the grandson of W.H.Smith the newsagent and stationer) with a trowel presented by Viscountess Trafalgar. The stones were designed by Eric Gill and a 'time capsule' bottle was placed under each containing a copy of the Times and other documents.
The Lady Chapel was dedicated and opened for worship on St Jude's Day, 28 October 1910, as work continued on the building of the main body of the church.
On 7 May next year we will celebrate the consecration of the Church and the creation of the parish.